Saturday, March 5, 2016

A Goodly Heritage

I've been thinking a great deal about what kind of heritage I'll leave behind (not that I'm planning on "popping off"--to quote my Grandma Cole--any time soon.) We attended a funeral recently for an 89 year old lady, who left a great heritage for her family. In the remarks made by family members, they all acknowledged she "wasn't perfect" but loved the Lord and loved her family.

Genesis 18:19, the Lord said in regards to Abraham: "Indeed, I've made myself known to him in order that he may encourage his sons and his household that is born after him to keep the way of the LORD, and to do what is right and just, so that the LORD may bring about for Abraham what he has promised." 

Abraham was not perfect, either, but he "encouraged his household to keep the way of the Lord" by his own obedience and faithfulness.This was the heritage he left for his family and for all of us down through history.

My own dad and mom set the bar high. They lived in private what they preached publicly--modeling in their own lives what they taught us by principle and precept. Seeing Mom reading the Word, hearing Dad pray, observing them put God and others first; themselves and their own needs last, had a lasting impact on us.

The following quote is the end of Chapter One of my memoir, after the episode of my illness: "Though there would be countless battles ahead, Dad and Mom had weathered a major crisis, this testing by fire in which the enemy attacked them at their most vulnerable place.  By God’s grace they came through, undeterred from their call. The kingdom of darkness in Indonesia and beyond would be shaken by their sacrificial obedience and faithfulness."

I would like that to be the heritage I leave for my own family: simple obedience to the Lord and faithfulness in everything I put my hand to. In spite of my fumbling failures, by His grace, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment