Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Things I Learn From My Garden

I dream of a Victorian garden in my backyard, with sun-sparkled, gentle fountains, a curving stone path, elegantly pruned hedges, statuary, and bright flower beds throughout. The reality, however, is two small flower beds and a few hostas. Sigh.

I still enjoy gardening and often think about life-lessons you can learn from it. Probably is why Jesus used farming and gardening to teach his disciples.

Gardens require a lot of care. I lost some plantings because I was too busy to tend to them--snails and drought got to most of the hostas. Weeds overgrew the impatiens and slowed their growth greatly. My spiritual life requires a lot of tending to. Busyness is the worst enemy.

Weeds need to be pulled up before they get too large, but it's easier when they're big enough to see and get a hold of. As soon as the Holy Spirit points to something in me, I need to deal with it, but I have to be able to see it first--I mean REALLY see it for what it is. Not just a tiny little quirk of personality--but SIN. "Uproot it, Holy Spirit. Change my heart, Oh God."

I learn a lot from my garden -- I'll "cogitate" some more on this subject later....

2 comments:

  1. Short and sweet (Is that like you?)lol
    I like your blog, but first I have to go look up the word cogitate, because just having the gist of it is not enough for me. :)

    Here it is: Cogitate (*from Dictionary.com)
    –verb (used without object)
    1.
    to think hard; ponder; meditate: to cogitate about a problem.
    –verb (used with object)
    2.
    to think about; devise: to cogitate a scheme.
    —Synonyms
    1. deliberate, reflect. 2. weigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really good. You are right, a lot of times our spiritual life resembles the earth in many ways. Our whole neighborhood just got new grass, and if you were to walk through it, you would know for sure who watered their new grass twice a day like they were supposed to. Those who didn't have cracks in the ground from being so dry, but those who did have gorgeous green covering them. It's so easy to not be aware of our spiritual health.

    ReplyDelete